As of 01.11.2022
Name of the project: Veterinary probiotic medications for targeted modulation of health of animals
Project objective: Development of systems of key «algorithms» aimed at creation of new technologies for production of efficient probiotic medications for applications in veterinary optimized for animal organisms.
We have conducted a screening of microbiota strains extracted from various populations of healthy animals and the environment (the GIT of animals of cellular and free content, the litter and soils, various geographical zones) to determine their probiotic potential. Our researchers have conducted a comparative research of the selected strains in vitro and in vivo. The selected prebiotics, probiotics and potentially probiotic strains with targeted activity for use in animal farming and aquaculture are the basis for the creation and continuous replenishment of the South Russian Collection of Probiotic Microorganisms.
We have developed, designed, produced and put into operation a model of a unique of an artificial GIT similar and structurally not inferior to the best world standards (for instance, SHIME, the Simulator of the Human Intestinal Microbial Ecosystem), but, unlike them, is adapted and optimized for the maximum possible stimulation of natural GIT microbiota of various animals.
A new approach has been found to the creation of species-oriented devices for imitating physiological and microbiological processes in the organisms of animals, the execution of experimental «in vitro» physical and microbiological research in an environment with controlled and managed parameters. The created hierarchical microprocessor-based control and monitoring system allows to execute experiments of arbitrary duration with controlled chyme temperature, the value of рН and ensures an inert atmosphere. We have created software of the upper hierarchy level – the reactors of the models can be scaled and merged into chains under a common automated process control system. The device relies on the developed mnemonic schemes and the functional system for the control and monitoring of the temperature, and the composition of liquids for the research of the GIT with the capability of parallelizing the experiment(s). The device allows to conduct research with the exclusion of chyme illumination in bioreactors as well as in a low-oxygen atmosphere by virtue of displacement of oxygen by inert gases – nitrogen, carbon dioxide, argon. To provide a remote monitoring service to control the parameters of conducted experiments, the program installed on the management computer features the capability of transmitting data on the controlled parameters and generated control inputs over the MQTT protocol to a cloud service on the Internet. The development has been successfully registered as a Unique Scientific Device (USD) «Microbiological complex for modeling processes in the gastrointestinal tracts of animals» (USD «MicroGIT»). USD «MicroGIT» is designed for conducting research involving dynamic models: comprehensive «in vitro» research of the impact of various substances (prebiotics, probiotics, pharmaceuticals, components of feeds etc.), both on the functional and the structural characteristics of different parts of the GIT https://probioticdonstu.com/unu-mikro-jkt/, https://ckp-rf.ru/catalog/usu/3559948/.
Our researchers have developed a methodology for the creation of artificial microbiological media for use in model experiments simulating the GIT. We have conducted a comprehensive research of the processes of fermentation of candidate strains (probiotic substrates, liquid and solid phases, the effect of co-cultivated probiotics on the biomarkers of probiotic activity, the analysis of fermentation products), trends of biological film formation. Databases have been created that contain the observed properties of biological film, the physiological effects of the isolated strains.
An experimental section has been organized within the created laboratory, where a laboratory techology has been created for the production of probiotic preparations, conditions have been selected for solid-phase cultivation that ensures the highest activity of the preparation and created pilot batches of probiotic preparations for research. The Laboratory has conducted work to identify the metabolites of probiotic bacilli using chromatography and to extract active fractions of metabolites. We have proposed a method for producing a germ-free preparation relying on metabolites of probiotic bacilli and feeds based on them. Our researchers have created a package of pilot technologies for for producing new symbiotic preparations based on the principle of solid-phase fermentation and protocols of their usage.
Implemented results of research:
We have developed a methodology for the joint use of a biopreparation based on a prebiotic with targeted activity and a feed supplement used by an industrial consumer, the field of possible use is agrobiotechnologies (poultry farming).
The Laboratory has developed a technology for producing a biopreparation with antifungal action based on the solid-phase fermentation of spore-forming bacilli on a plant substrate. The technology can be used in agrobiotechnologies (plant farming). The preparation has been produced on the grounds of the Laboratory for an industrial customer.
Education and career development:
- In 2021-22 a research internship at Maastricht University (the Netherlands) was organized for an employee of the Laboratory.
- The results of the development of a model of an artificial chicken gastrointestinal tract are used to conduct training in the courses: «Modeling of control systems» (training program 27.03.04 «Control in technical systems»), «Modeling of systems and processes» (training program 15.03.04 «Automation of technological processes and manufacturing»), «SCADA» (training program 15.04.04 «Industrial programming»), as well as for the training of postgraduate students.
- We have developed and are implemented the additional training program «Innovative approaches to the creation of veterinary probiotic preparations with targeted modulation of animal health».
- We have developed and are planning to implement the main professional education program «Gamekeeping, cynology and zookeeping» within the direction of training 36.03.02 «Zootechnics».
- We have developed and are now implementing the main professional training programs: «Processes and equipment of biotechnology» within the training direction 19.03.01 «Processes and equipment of biotechnology»; «Fish genetics and selection» within the training direction 35.03.08 «Water bioresources and aquaculture»; «Fish farming» within the training direction 35.03.08 «Water bioresources and aquaculture».
- We have developed and are now implementing the main professional education program program «Soil science and agroecological assessment of soils» within the training direction 35.03.03 «Agrochemistry and agricultural soil science».
Organizational and structural changes:
The research laboratories of the Center for Agrobiotechnology has been furnished with equipment (an analytical laboratory, a pathohistological laboratory, a microbiological laboratory, a laboratory of biotechnology, an experimental biological clinic (vivarium), a laboratory of cell technologies) are an educational and scientific base for undergraduate and postgraduate students of the Don State Technical University.
The Laboratory’s website has been created, where the employees of the Laboratory and partners can exchange documents and discuss work issues via their personal accounts https://probioticdonstu.com/
- Center for Engineering Solutions in Aquiculture «Simeon AquaBioTechnologies», Research Institute of Agriculture of the Crimea, Agrarian Research Center «Donskoy» (Russia): joint research.
- Amazonen Werke (Germany), Wintersteiger AG (Austria), Rutgers University (USA), Russian Academy of Sciences, Southern Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, machinery plant «BONUM» Ltd, «Lallemand Animal Nutrition», «AGROCOM Group» Ltd, agrotechnological holding «Bizon», combine harvester «Rostselmash» (Russia), Lemken GmbH & Co. KG (Germany): the organization and staging of joint conferences and forums within the comprehensive scientific research plan «Development of aquaculture» — International Scientific and Practical Conference «The current state and the prospects of the development of the agricultural complex», International Scientific and Practical Conference «Mathematical modeling and biomechanics», International Conference on Beneficial Microbes «ICOBM-2021», the International Scientific and Practical Conference «Innovative technologies in science and education», the International Scientific and Practical Conference «Development and current problems of aquaculture».
- University Sains Malaysia, Norwegian University of Life Sciences (Norway), University of Diyala (Iraq), Maharshi Dayanand University (India), Stellenbosch University (South Africa), Federal University of Viçosa, University of São Paulo (Brazil), Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (Iran): joint publications and presentations at international conferences, development of education programs.
- Academy of Biology and Biotechnology of the Southern Federal University, Rostov State Medical University of the Ministry of Health of Russia, Petrov National Medical Research Center of Oncology of the Ministry of Health of Russia, Saint Petersburg State University, Russian State Agrarian University - Moscow Timiryazev Agricultural Academy, Institute for Biomedical Problems of the Russian Academy of Sciences, RUDN University: Peoples' Friendship University of Russia, Institute for Mechanization of Animal Farming – branch of the Federal Scientific Agroengineering Center VIM, Stavropol State Agrarian University, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Kurchatov Institute, Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University, Saint Petersburg State Agrarian University (Russia): publication of works of united research teams in high-ranking academic journals, preparing joint presentations at international conferences.
- First Moscow State Medical University of the Ministry of Health of Russia ( Sechenov University): creation of a joint master’s degree education program.
Field of studies
Time span of the project